banner

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Beth: noKnead Bread

Loaf of twisted, nutty, oatmeal noKnead bread


As the winter of 2006 was closing in, a lot of people were discovering an old approach to making bread. Writing in the New York Times, Mark Bittman described how to make a "no-knead bread" using a very wet (or "slack") dough that is allowed a long, slow rise and then baked in a covered, preheated dutch oven. The results were impressive: bread with a beautiful rustic, open crumb and a near-shatteringly crisp crust.

With 78,000 Google hits for "no-knead bread" there are no doubt thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of people who overcame their fear of yeast, baked their first loaf of bread, and were thrilled with what they created. They have reason to be proud too. The pictures are gorgeous, and more than a few people describe the crust singing as it cools, which is always a good sign.

I think this is great. Anything that gets people in their kitchens, particularly into scary territory like yeasted bread, is wonderful. Every time I come across a web site where someone has a picture of their very first loaf of bread I smile. More bread bakers makes me happy.

As someone who has been baking bread regularly for decades, however, this recipe is not quite such a huge revelation. I figured out long rise, cold-fermented, slack dough a long time ago and know how to reliably get crispy crust. Perhaps understandably, I was not in a huge rush to try the recipe. In fact, it took me all the way until February to try it, and then I only did it because Susan twisted my arm. Really hard.

The magic behind NoKnead Bread

Reliably turning out great bread at home requires you to master a technique or two and control the proofing and baking environment. This recipe shortcuts a few of these critical aspects of making good rustic bread, making it easier to create a loaf you will be happy to eat fresh out of the oven. While you will probably end up using variations on the original recipe, there are a few things to keep in mind about why this approach works so well:

The rustic open crumb of artisan bread requires slack dough, which can be a hassle to knead and work with. Treating the dough like a batter takes care of that, while the long rise allows for slow, but adequate, gluten development.

Concentrated bottom heat gives the bread more oven spring (rise) and a crispier crust. Baking stones, not preheated dutch ovens, are the usual solution to this problem, although it doesn't deal with the next thing...

Home ovens don't provide the steamy environment required for truly great bread—hence the steam pans, ice cubes, spraying water in the oven for the first few minutes of baking, and so on. By trapping the dough's moisture in the covered dutch oven, you can skip the initial steam creation rituals and let the dough steam itself.

I baked two batches before I wrote about it on kitchenMage and then I wrote: So, what do I think? Well, truth be told, it is great food blog bread. It is very pretty, no doubt about that. Visibly crisp crust. Beautiful open crumb. Yep. That's some gorgeous bread. Photographs beautifully, too. It is also dead simple to produce bread that pretty. The slack dough, long ferment, and baking method combine to make a very forgiving recipe. Served still warm with a slather of butter, it's an impressive loaf, especially for someone who seldom, or never, bakes.

That's not bad…but then I had to go on: Well, except in one aspect. It tastes like...not much. It's not even bad enough to be notable. Flavorless, gummy, and an hour out of the oven the crust starts to toughen.

Ouch! (but wait there's more...) I summed up this bread thusly: Bread to make you believe in the Atkins diet.

So clever. So witty. (So should have shut up.)

So when Kevin and Susan said we absolutely, positively, had to do noknead bread for this site I was a bit nonplussed. If nonplussed means freaked out. There was whining and wheedling, bitching and moaning, and all sorts of carrying on.

I called an executive meeting, at which they reminded me that two was more than one and I was outvoted. I begged and said they could call me a snob on the site if they wanted. They laughed.

Worse, they made me go first!

Bummer. To quote a teenager I know, "sucks to be me..."

This forced me to seriously examine what I didn't like about the recipe and find a way to fix it. So, what was wrong? Well, from my perspective, the bread has three significant down sides:
  • Boring, bland, blah. All white flour meant the bread lacked flavor. The salt in the recipe needed to be doubled. Did I mention the boring white flour?

  • The long rise at room temperature gives the yeast time to digest a lot of the sugars and enzymes that are being broken out of the flour, reducing the flavor. A lot.

  • The covered baking dish often results in a moist, somewhat gummy interior, especially in the center bottom.

The second was easy to fix. I use cold fermentation for bread all the time; clearly this would have to be done that way. A bit of experimentation was all it would take to find the right balance of time and temperature.

The last seemed to be a matter of less covered baking time, maybe with adjustments to time and temperature. (hmmm, time and temperature, I detect a theme…)

The first of these, however, offered me one of those double edged opportunity/danger situations. A quick search online demonstrated that there were already been a lot of variations on this recipe, some more successful than others, in the wild. Herbs, sourdough, chocolate chip (hmmm, chocolate, that helps anything!), mushrooms, cheese… You name it, someone has tried it. Interesting, but this could take a long time and much experimentation and I was on a deadline.

Click to enlarge

Closing in on the date for this post, I was still playing with ideas in my head, not in my kitchen where I needed to be, when I came here to check on comments and found inspiration instead.

You see, two of our most dedicated bakers, Judy and oopsydeb, were talking about Farmgirl's Oatmeal Toasting Bread—one of my favorites—and that made me think of my cinnamon swirl version of Susan's recipe and one thing led to another and I finally went to the kitchen and seven experimental batches later, I give you…

kitchenMage's little bit Twisted, kinda Nuts, noKnead Oatmeal Toasting Bread
(with apologies to Susan)

ingredient US volume | Metric Volume | US weight | Metric
oatmeal 1/2 cup | 118 ml | 2 ounces | 56 grams
brown sugar 2 tablespoons | 30 ml | 1 ounces | 28 grams
boiling water 1 cup | 236 ml | 8 ounces | 224 grams

cold water (or ice) 3/4 cup** | 177 ml | 6 ounces | 168 grams
whole wheat flour 1/4 cup | 59 ml | 1 ounce | 28 grams
bread flour 2 1/4 cups | 532 ml | 10 3/4 ounces | 300 grams
instant yeast 1 1/2 teaspoons | 8 ml | scant 1/4 ounce | 5-6 grams
cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon | 3 ml | 1/8 ounce | 2-3 grams
nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon | 3 ml | 1/8 ounce | 2-3 grams
vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon | 3 ml | 1/8 ounce | 2-3 grams
salt 2 teaspoons | | 3/8 ounce | 10 grams

Filling
nuts, chopped 1/2 cup | | 2 ounces | 56 grams
cinnamon sugar A few tablespoons or so…it's sprinkling, how exact do you want?

**To measure ice without a scale, pour 2 cups of cold water into a 4 cup measuring cup and add ice until it measures ~2 2/3 cups. Smoosh the ice cubes flat with the water surface, it should then measure 2 3/4 cups. Adjust until it does. Or buy a scale already. Really!

Mixing and fermentation
In a mixing bowl, combine oatmeal, brown sugar and boiling water. Stir well. Cover bowl with clean towel and let cool.

This mixture needs to be no warmer than room temperature before you can continue. How you achieve this is a bit different depending on whether you are using ice or cold water:
Cold water—let the mixture cool to lukewarm, 30-45 minutes and add water.
Ice—wait 10 minutes, add the ice and stir until it melts.

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined. The dough will be thick enough to scoop a large spoonful and have it stay relatively intact—it's very similar to the texture of well-cooked oatmeal.

Cover the bowl and let the dough rise until doubled in bulk. (This took 3 1/2 hours in my 70° kitchen.)

Refrigerate dough overnight (at least 6 hours).

Shaping and final rise
The next morning, remove dough from the refrigerator and let it warm on the counter for an hour or two. It will still be cool to the touch.

While the dough is warming, chop nuts and mix cinnamon sugar if you don't have some on hand (my standard cinnamon sugars is ~3 parts each brown and white sugar to 1 part cinnamon). Also, cut a piece of parchment paper and place it in the container in which the dough will rise.

Flour the counter and scoop dough onto it.

Click to enlarge

The filling is layered into the dough with two tri-folds — like folding a letter to go into an envelope — first in one direction, then the other. Start by nudging the dough into something resembling a rectangle. Sprinkle the dough with a quarter of the nuts and cinnamon sugar. Fold one third of the dough towards the middle, sprinkle with a little more of the goodies. Fold the other third over.

Let the dough rest for a few minutes. It should relax back into a rectangle, more or less. Rotate the dough a quarter turn and repeat the topping process.

Gently place the dough on the parchment and let rise until doubled in bulk. This may take a long time (4-5 hours).

When the dough is about half-risen, put the covered baking container in the oven and preheat it at 450F (230C) for at least 45 minutes, although an hour is better. (I used a 2 1/2 qt, 7 inch wide Calphalon saucepan.) If you have a baking stone, place the pan on the stone to heat.

Baking
Once the dough has doubled in size, place it in the baking pan by lifting the corners of the parchment with the dough on it. Lowering it into the baking pan and cover. Bake for 30 minutes.

Click to enlarge

Reduce oven temperature to 400F (205C) and uncover the pan. (If you have a stone, remove the pan from oven and finish baking on the stone.) Continue baking until crust is dark brown and the loaf sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom, approximately 30-40 minutes. An instant read thermometer should register 210F (99C). Let cool completely on rack.

Not surprisingly, this makes excellent toast.


Technorati: | | | | | | | |

Labels: ,

33 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful, and I have printed it out to take to the kitchen. I have made a noknead yeast bread with yellow cooked grits, that is wonderful. But it was nothing like this.

Okay, even though I apparently screwed something up in the oatmeal toasting bread recipe, I am going to try this. Hopefully I can get it going this afternoon. Thanks for challenging a senior citizen (I didn't know I was one, but they tell me I am, so I take the discounts), as you know we need to keep our brains functioning. ha

judyinktown

4/19/2007 6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been itching to bake up some more nkb and this may just have pushed me over.

I think you're right about the blandness, I usually had to get some taste out of it by going heavy with the olive oil.

4/19/2007 7:31 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Beth,
Great post. Very nicely explained.

4/19/2007 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been making the no-knead bread just about every week since the recipe came out, with lots and lots of changes, so I'm glad to see that you three are taking this up. Toasting it certainly makes it better. Into the kitchen I go.

Mary
www.ceresandbacchus.com

4/19/2007 8:48 AM  
Blogger ostwestwind said...

I tried the no-knead-bread with a little rye only once and I don't think I'll do it a second time. I prefer hearty breads with rye, sometimes whole rye or sometimes rye-mixed -breads like this

4/19/2007 9:04 AM  
Blogger oopsydeb said...

Just when I was getting hopeful that I'd finally have well-toned arms, you folks turn to no knead bread. :) I have to say I'm a bit surprised, having previously read (and enjoyed) Susan's not so adoring post about it.

I have my banana oatmeal toasting bread experiment started, so I'll try this recipe Saturday or Sunday. Is the baker's weight gain I'm experiencing inevitable? (yah, I know...exercise more, give away more bread).

I made the famous NYT no knead bread once, back in January. It was my first loaf of yeast bread without a machine, so I credit the craze with getting me started. And my gathered extended family raved about it. I wasn't thrilled with the process and knew I could make better tasting bread. I have also wondered why kneading seems a bother, other than to folks for whom it is physically difficult. But, I'll give it another try (or, I guess, three other tries. Thanks for such clearly written procedures, Susan.

4/19/2007 4:22 PM  
Blogger oopsydeb said...

Oops...please insert Beth each time I wrote Susan in my post above. Sorry ladies!

4/19/2007 4:50 PM  
Blogger kitchenmage said...

Judy, you helped inspire this, you'd better bake some!

Yahaira, olive oil would definitely help with the basic NKB. I'm curious as to what Kevin and Susan will come up with, neither of them does bland either.

Kevin, thx

Mary, please let me know how you like this variation. It took quite a bit of playing with to get something I liked (and I have photos of inch high bread from multiple batches!)

ostwestwind, bear with us...we'll be back to kneaded bread shortly...and I know of at least two killer rye bread recipes between the three of us.

4/19/2007 4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

about the baker's weight gain oopysdeb...when I enrolled in my pastry course we were told that a 20lb weight gain in 3 months was the average. Exercise is the only solution! I'm the only one in a class of 12 who didn't gain.

4/19/2007 8:29 PM  
Blogger Vicci said...

May I raise a lone hand? We liked the no-knead bread! Our favorite bread was (note: WAS) a ciabatta from a bakery which was a 45-minute drive away. I had given up on finding a recipe to replicate this bread at home until a friend sent me a link to the nk bread which described a loaf exactly like our favorite ciabatta. It's not "high", the interior is a little sticky, but it had a wonderful flavor. All of those attributes were found in the nk bread. I tried different versions (adding whole wheat, one loaf had chopped fresh rosemary and garlic added, etc.) but my husband insisted that the original was best. I found a brand of flour which is a blend of all-purpose and white whole wheat so I have been using that for more nutrition and the same flavor of all-purpose flour.

But I want more. Another variation! I will continue to make the "plain" nk bread, but I am loving the photos of this nutty, cinnamon-y version. This would be perfect for French toast. I must try it-- soon! Thank you Beth for developing this great-sounding variation on our favorite bread. :)

4/19/2007 8:41 PM  
Blogger oopsydeb said...

Thanks Artemis--and call me averge! I did get back on the treadmill this week.

Speaking of weight gain, my first banana interpretation of Susan's oatmeal toasting bread is out of the oven. I made the recipe without old dough. I mashed 4 ripe bananas (close to 2 c. and I think it was 358 grams) and added them to the oatmeal, bran, water, brown sugar, butter mix after it had cooled. Then I added the first 2 c. of flour and the yeast. Per Beth's suggestion, I added some extra yeast, using 14 g instead of the 11 called for in the recipe. I used a lot of flour. I originally measured about 1230 grams (all the bread flour I had left). All of that went in, along with just a tad all-purpose flour. I made two large loaves. To one of those, I added walnuts and a cinnamon and brown sugar mix.

Verdict: Slightly moist on the inside, but quite tasty. The banana is just a hint but present tonight, and I expect it to be a little stronger tomorrow. Toasted? Oh my, oh my.

4/19/2007 8:48 PM  
Blogger kitchenmage said...

oopsydeb, well, they did tell me I had to! But the oatmeal variation is pretty darned good, and if you and Judy hadn't been making Susan's Oatmeal bread, I would have still been lost!

Artemis, I recently went to a 4 day party at a B&B where the average weight gain was about 7 pounds...in less than a week! Pastry school would kill me.

KitchenQueen, like I said, I love the the noKnead bread got people baking, even if it's not my favorite bread. Since you bake this a lot, I am extra curious as to your experience with my variation.

oopsydeb (again), the banana version of the oatmeal bread sounds really yummy. I will have to buy some bananas so they can overripen...I'd say something about trying banana noKnead but it strikes me it would be WET...

4/19/2007 10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the bread rising for the first time. It looked like what Beth described, so I am hoping I am on target. I am thinking I might have a timing problem unless it doesn't matter how long it stays in the refrigerator.

Oopsydeb, I would like to know just how far away you are so I can have a piece of that Banana Oatmeal Toasting bread while I am walking on your treadmill. I know the calories won't count that way. You know, sort of like eating standing up, I know that doesn't count. ha

judyinktown

4/20/2007 10:07 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I simply refuse to answer all the invasive questions on the registration form for the NYTimes site so haven't read Mark Bittman's article. But happily, the recipe that he used (or at least I think it is the recipe) is published in the comments section of
SlashFood No-knead bread takes over the world.

I'm so surprised to see the words "The long rise at room temperature gives the yeast time to digest a lot of the sugars and enzymes that are being broken out of the flour, reducing the flavor." I let dough rise at room temperature all the time and it's my feeling that the flavour is only enhanced.

However, I always use active dry yeast rather than instant. I seem to recall reading that instant yeast isn't the best yeast for long rises.

I first heard about "no-knead" bread from a friend who has been using the mixing and throwing method described in "Piano Piano Pieno" by Susan McKenna Grant. I confess I haven't tried this method yet but Grant does talk about handling the dough less and letting it autolyse to develope its strength. I plan to try her method with my next bread experiment - one made with a natural starter. I'm just in the last stages of capturing wild yeast - very very exciting!! I will be making bread with the starter in the next couple of days. The ingredients: natural starter, flour, water and salt. (The starter is made with a trace of honey, rye flour, all-purpose flour and water.)

Your no-knead version sounds good... with all those extra things added, it can't help but be flavourful!

-Elizabeth

P.S. I too have been making pretty great slack dough bread for a while now, using a kneading technique I learned from reading "Artisan Baking Across America" by Maggie Glezer.

4/20/2007 3:55 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

oh yes, one more thing...

I'm with you Beth. Just what IS it that people find so hard about kneading? For me, it's a rather soothing thing to do.

Well, heh, except when kneading slack dough. That's not soothing... That's exhilarating! I get a real kick out of moving fast to keep it from oozing off the board and onto the floor.

-Elizabeth, the verbose

4/20/2007 4:01 PM  
Blogger kitchenmage said...

Judy, this can take ~24-36 hours in the refrigerator, although you may need to degas it a bit if it's being active.

Elizabeth, thanks for the other link! I tested the URL on a different browser that I thought had no cookies, but apparently I was wrong.

I've got a horrendous cold and can't think but the short version of the 'yeast eats flavor' comment is that it depends on the amount of yeast, length of time and temperature. This recipe uses a lot more yeast than the original noKnead recipe so it needs the cold rise. I'll explain this better in a day or three when I can think without it hurting.

4/20/2007 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I last checked it, it was okay, had not risen anymore. I will check it again before I go to bed. Thanks.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but my mother made no knead bread when I was little. It was a regional bread with 2 cups of cooked yellow grits in it. It was moist and light and made the best BLT you ever put in your mouth, and it was pretty, with little bits of the yellow grits all through it. It was called Mixed Bread. I don't know whether it was called that because you just mixed it up and let it rise, or because you mixed the yellow grits into it. I'll see if I can find that recipe.

judyinktown

4/20/2007 6:38 PM  
Blogger Emma Christensen said...

I am also a long-time baker for whom no-knead bread was a bit unsurprising. I waited until February to try it, and even then, I felt like I needed to try it just so I could say I'd done it! I agree that the bread is pretty flavorless, though extremely pretty and impressive. It's decent slathered with butter or as a background for a sandwich. And it's nice for those weekends when I'm not going to be around the house much for a more time and labor intensive bread. I need to experiment more with adding sourdough--so far, the dough isn't rising enough, doesn't have enough spring in the oven, and is far too wet (making a bubble-gum mess when I try and get it into my dutch oven).

I'm intrigued by the cold-fermentation idea--for some reason this never occurred to me! So you let the dough double in bulk at room temp and then stick it in the fridge for about 24 hrs? Then let it come to room temp before final shaping? Hmmmm...

4/21/2007 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine has been rising for about an hour, but it hasn't risen much. I have it sitting on granite; I'm thinking I should move it to a less cold surface. I am a little apprehensive about putting it into the large glass vessel I chose to bake in. I do have a large Le Crueset rissoto pan (I think that is what they called it). It is about 4 inches deep, but is over 12 inches in diameter. The other is taller and less in diameter. Decisions, decisions, I just want it to turn out nice so I can take it to the neighbors tonight. Plus, I have never used the parchment for bread before.

I have to say Beth, you are really stretching me here. I guess it is good for old dogs to learn new tricks.

The dough did smell amazing.

judyinktown

4/21/2007 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well i made it .Tastes great but didnt rise very much.Perhaps I didnt let it rise long enough .Its between seasons here and kitchen may be rather cool till heating goes on .
Also use active dry yeast as alternative is bread machine yeast which has additives.
Really enjoying this blog

4/21/2007 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine is out of the oven, but I haven't sliced it yet. It didn't rise much the second time either, but looks about like Beth's height wise. Hope it tastes good.

judyinktown

4/21/2007 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you hated the NKB so much the first time! I'm a professional baker and bread is my "thing" and I loved it! If anything, I thought the NYT's version had a tad too much salt (and I LOVE salt!). Hmmm...I guess it's true that taste is subjective! I will definitely try your version though, simply because I love to bake bread!

4/21/2007 10:07 PM  
Blogger oopsydeb said...

I just pulled this out of the oven. Of course I haven't sliced into it yet, but I thought I'd give some notes from my experience.

First--wow, does this smell good. I used 3 grams of ceylon cinnamon and 2 grams of freshly grated nutmeg. Just wow. It smells good.

Second--this was SO MUCH EASIER to work with than my one and only attempt with the NYT NK bread recipe. Yes, it was wet, but I was actually able to do things like fold it (folding was, I believe, in the NYT recipe, but my dough was way to gloppy to do anything so structured).

Third--mine rose quite a bit at each stage. Maybe I was just expecting a flat little loaf after other posts here.

Fourth--my cooking time was much less than the recipe, cooking it for only 20 minutes on the 2nd go around. I'm actually afraid it might be a little over done. Certainly the top is a bit darker than I would like. Maybe my oven doesn't adjust quickly when I lower the temp. Not sure.

I'll report back later on the taste and crumb.

4/22/2007 3:48 PM  
Blogger oopsydeb said...

Well, the bread is wonderful. Chewy and wonderful. We took a half loaf with us to the park to pass off to my (very healthy) brother and his family. He ate half of it before we said our good-byes. I kind of were still porridge season for me. I'd love to have this bread to dip in to and sop up a great bowl of porridge or mush.

4/22/2007 5:44 PM  
Blogger kitchenmage said...

Judy, so what's the verdict?

oopsydeb, I'm so glad you like it. I was really determined to come up with something really good and the oatmeal seemed to lend itself to the chewy thing the noKnead bread does. I'm guessing that you can do all sorts of variants that would all be good.

Emma, I think that it came close to doubling on the counter, then grew a little more in the fridge. Next day, it was still a bit chilly when it was shaped (maybe 45 minutes out of the refrigerator) because it is easier to work with cold. It finished warming/rising over the next couple of hours. This is all really dependent on ambient temperature and such so you have to go by feel...

4/22/2007 6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Beth: The noknead turned out good. My neighbor did take a terrific picture, so if I can get her husband to show me how to put it on flickr, you just might get to see it. I seriously want one of those digital cameras.

judyinktown

4/22/2007 10:49 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I suspect that my countertop rises are considered to be pretty cold - especially in the winter. Our kitchen is around 15C during the day and can go as low as 10C overnight.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Beth!

-Elizabeth

P.S. Rats. My experiment with capturing wild yeast is not going as well as I hoped. I'm going to abort and make biscuits out of the non-yeasty mess that appears to be bubbling ever so slightly. I'll try again in July or so when the kitchen temperature can ranges between 20C and 28C.

4/23/2007 4:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is my first comment but I just wanted to say that I've recently started baking bread regularly though I've been baking non-yeasted things for many many many many many ... years ;) Tonight, though I enjoy kneading so I'm not really making a nk bread, I am going to put together a dough for rolls for tomorrow night that I'm planning on throwing in the fridge overnight. I'm going to be using a lot of your tips! Oh, I almost forgot! I just bought a baking stone so I'm looking forward to using that for the first time too!

4/27/2007 4:36 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Lauren,
"I just bought a baking stone so I'm looking forward to using that for the first time too!"

As Dylan said, "Everybody must get stoned."

Who knew he was into baking bread?

4/27/2007 5:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hah!

The baking stone was actually a birthday present from my boss (who is also a friend) since he moonlights at Pottery Barn and gets a discount there and at William Sonoma. He asked me what I wanted, and having been baking so much bread lately and reading about how my (still good) bread would turn out even better with a baking stone -- especially since my attempt at approximating one with a cast iron skillet only sort of worked -- I said "a baking stone would be cool." And he actually got me one.

I'm using Susan's tips and Beth's tips and some tips from my King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook (the title is something like that anyway) so I'll either have great rolls or really bad ones since I'm trying too many things at once!

I will let you know how they turn out.

4/27/2007 7:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My rolls were really good. :)

4/29/2007 9:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

NOKNEAD SAFE WITH EGG DOUGHS?
Being a klutz with kneading, I fell for no-knead, and love it w/ add-ins. (Fave: mozzarella's liquid leeches into bread and greatly improves flavor....) Anyhow, now I want to go the next step, and use method with egg doughs. (e.g., Easter bread.) Will this work? Will it be safe? Should I do as Beth's post recommends, and do, say, 3 hours at room temp, and then overnight in the fridge? Will egg ruin the chemistry? Beth, what do you think?

5/10/2007 11:58 PM  
Blogger kitchenmage said...

Chris,

Sure, I make bread with eggs and milk using a slow ferment. While you need to pay attention to temperature, it's easy to stay safe.

Start with cold eggs, let the dough rise on the counter until it's 60-75% of the way to the usual doubled, then cover and refrigerate - that usually takes my sweet breads an hour or so. The dough should rise the rest of the way in the refrigerator as it chills.

Let us know how it goes.

5/11/2007 5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home